I think that of all the days I have “planned” posts for, Monday Munchies is going to be my favorite. For one, who doesn’t love a good recipe and two, the name of it. I’m so immature.
Anyway last week on What I Ate Wednesday I teased you guys with a terrible Instagram photo of my homemade banana bread. This is a recipe that I concocted one day when realizing how unhealthy banana bread is, despite what people may think. Whole wheat, low-fat and lower sugar means an A+ in my book.
‘What are you bananas?!?’ Banana Bread
- 1 and 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 VERY ripe bananas, like totally brown
- 2 tablespoons vanilla Greek yogurt (honey or plain works fine too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: 2/3 cup walnuts or chocolate chips
1) Preheat oven to 350*
2) Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl (do not sift)
3) In a large bowl, mash the bananas until no longer chunky. Add in sugar, eggs, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla extract. Whisk together until combined.
4) Slowly stir flour mixture into the large bowl with a spatula. Mix well.
5) OPTIONAL: At this point if you choose to add walnuts or chocolate chips, fold into mixture
6) Pour into large loaf pan, or two smaller loaf pans that have been greased or lined with parchment paper.
7) Bake for about 50 minutes, times may vary by oven
This stuff is the ‘ish. I swear. And since it’s so low fat (hello? no oil or butter?) you can feel free to smother it in the nut-butter of your choosing, or heck even Nutella. Whatever floats your boat.
And now I have a loooonngg night of recipe development and making a presentation about myself. Yea, like, how the love of dietetics originated in my heart kind of thing. I will probably stumble and stutter about how I just really love ice cream and french fries and my only goal was to figure out how to incorporate those into my everyday life and how I didn’t realize I was getting an entire career out of it… Kidding kidding, totally kidding. But all jokes aside, I learn to love the whole dietetics/dietitian world more and more every single day and I’ll expand on that more in Thursday Thoughts! And with that, I leave you with a picture of my boyfriend, 5 years ago, dressed as a banana.